Ive just bought my first sewing machine!

Moderator: Moderators

Sparklepeeps

Ive just bought my first sewing machine!

Post by Sparklepeeps » 11 Jul 2010, 20:01

How exciting.

I know how to use one, but now I need to think of what to make, does anyone have any suggestions other than the following:

Tea cosy
Pin cushion
Cushions
(Curtains & Blinds - but Im doing an evening class to learn these)

Fairfax

Re: Ive just bought my first sewing machine!

Post by Fairfax » 11 Jul 2010, 20:50

Slings - given your occupation. ;)

Seriously - how about something along the soft toys line? Or dolls clothes?
Bedpsreads to match your curtains?

Hope you get many years of pleasure out of it. I have recently started to teach myself to knit again after many years. Not done much yet but will when I eventually create some spare time.

Sparklepeeps

Post by Sparklepeeps » 11 Jul 2010, 22:21

how adorable are these little pin cushions? (this level of inspiration certainly raises the game!)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1

zng109

Post by zng109 » 12 Jul 2010, 05:47

I used to make a reasonable sum making helmet covers (for afv helmets) sewing in creases, and tailering.
I now spend most of my machine time taking up trousers for my wife.
( reading this it looks soooo bad "taking up my wifes trousers" well its not how you think :ooo I am the man in this house 8-[ )
but it also gives you scope on purchases, dosnt fit over size is good :thumbright:
(and I am on my second :oops: )

ilex

Post by ilex » 12 Jul 2010, 07:07

My son-in- law is a whizz with his sewing machine. He makes clothes for his two childeren, curtains ,linens, dress`s and load`s of other things . He loves fabric shops and fancy buttons. He also knits and can crochet. His nan taught him when a boy :grin: and he is a top class Car Mechanic Too :) Skirt `s are very easy to make .Long Panel one`s are my favorite . You can have panel`s of different Colours/textures and fabrics . When you get fed up with the length just shorten it .
Last edited by ilex on 12 Jul 2010, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 12 Jul 2010, 07:09

It depends how dexterous you are. If you're still having trouble controlling the beast, don't make fiddly small things, but something large like squared patchwork which can be used for almost anything - line with old wool blankets for oven gloves for instance. If you've alreay got good foot & hand control, know how to use the attachments, then the world's your oyster. I used to make wedding dresses and period costumes - great fun.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

zth

Post by zth » 12 Jul 2010, 07:24

Waistcoats. You should definitely make little waistcoats for your chickens.

And then maybe some matching knapsacks that your girls can use when they leave home because you are making them wear waistcoats. ;)

ilex

Post by ilex » 12 Jul 2010, 08:55

Fleecy Waist coat`s for Battery Chicken Rescue Hen`s . I bet they have an easy patten for you. :)

zth

Post by zth » 12 Jul 2010, 10:17

Actually, now that I think about it, our local paper recently featured some folk who were knitting jumpers for featherless ex-batts.

lazaf

Post by lazaf » 12 Jul 2010, 10:28

You could make machine washable covers for the perches in the coop and that way keep them super fresh :grin: ;)

zng109

Post by zng109 » 12 Jul 2010, 10:40

I think it was a local WI that knitted the jumpers

Gallina Blanca
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Gallina Blanca » 05 Aug 2010, 22:53

Poultry saddles seems an obvious one.

I'm still regretting all the 1920's paper patterns which were in my Grandma's loft when she died. Thrown out, of course.

The most recent thing I made was a big oval cushion cover for the dog's bed. Actually, while I was at it I made 2.

layla

Post by layla » 24 Aug 2010, 15:50

doorstops in the shape of chickens and Ducks and ......... :thumbright: :lol:

heneypenny

Post by heneypenny » 29 Aug 2010, 17:00

SOOOOOO....what have you decided ?

Zth, your post about waistcoat wearing chickens made me laugh, ive taken some quite poorly ex-batt girlies in my time. One we had in April was totally bald so she had a sweater on for a while. Trouble is she has only managed to grow herself a pair of shorts and a few feathers down her neck so if she dosent hurry up and go into 'moult mode' she'll be sporting sweaters in the colder weather too :?

EGirl

Post by EGirl » 06 Sep 2010, 11:02

If anyone wants a pattern for a Hen sweater, I've got one!