Medieval Tunic Hood

Moderator: Moderators

Elly

Medieval Tunic Hood

Post by Elly » 17 Jan 2009, 13:35

My son wants a medieval tunic made, but it needs a hood. The tunic itself is easy, as I can do it in just 2 pieces, it is the hood I am worried about. I am going to be using calico and wondered if anyone can help with how to do the hood?
Many thanks, Keep smilin
Elly

EGirl

Re: Medieval Tunic Hood

Post by EGirl » 18 Jan 2009, 01:42

Hi Elly, I found this if it helps??? You might want to change the shape of the hood but I suppose the theory would be the same.

"The Jedi Robe Hood
This part was a little tricky to figure out. It took a few paper mock-ups to figure out how to make a hood shape. In the end, it was simple: one rectangular piece of fabric, folded in half, with one side stitched up.

Cut a 1 foot by 2 foot rectangle of fabric.
Fold it in half to make a 1 foot square piece of fabric.
Sew one edge from the fold to the end.
Turn the hood inside out.
Attach the Hood to the Robe
Prepare the robe by cutting a 6 inch circular neck hole out of the robe centered around the top of the front slit. Discard the circular piece of fabric. The hood will be sewn to the circular hole you just cut.
Align the seam you stitched up the back of the hood to the center of the back on the neck hole.
Sew the two ends of the hood rectangle to the left and right sides of the neck hole. Depending on how big you made the neck hole, the edge of the hood may be too big for the neck hole. If this happens, just put a couple of pleats in when you attach the hood.
Hem the front edge of the hood.
The hood will look WAY too big, but that is how the Jedi robe hoods are."

The following also has some practical tips....http://ezinearticles.com/?Clothing:-Dra ... &id=620343.

Hope it helps.
:wink: Elaine

Elly

Post by Elly » 18 Jan 2009, 18:40

Thanks for the advice and the link Elaine :D
I have made a few things before, but never with a hood and as my son will want to wear this to go out it I need to get it right. :roll:
Keep smilin
Elly

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 20 Jan 2009, 13:23

Have you seen this
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Tr ... 9-915.html
looks interesting as hood is seperate from tunic hth

wiblick

Post by wiblick » 20 Jan 2009, 15:00

I do re-enactment as a hobby...

Medieval cloaks tend to be without hoods, separate hoods are very cool. There are lots of resources out there for medieval clothing, from patterns to buying readymade. If the cloak is for a young child or for costume then a hooded cloak is fine but if he's taken up re-enactment as hobby some research will save a lot of headaches and regrets. let me know if you need any help in that regard.

Elly

Post by Elly » 20 Jan 2009, 18:44

wiblick wrote:I do re-enactment as a hobby...

Medieval cloaks tend to be without hoods, separate hoods are very cool. There are lots of resources out there for medieval clothing, from patterns to buying readymade. If the cloak is for a young child or for costume then a hooded cloak is fine but if he's taken up re-enactment as hobby some research will save a lot of headaches and regrets. let me know if you need any help in that regard.
Thanks for the advice, because if I get it wrong my son will not be pleased (he has aspergers and all must be perfect) :roll:
He basically wants something that the celts/druids would have worn. This is not just a case of 'just for dressing up', he is intending to wear the clothes as just that 8) My son is 12 years old and pretty small for his age and I have had no luck finding anything ready made. I did see some lovely hemp shirts at the weekend, but they were huge :(
I'd be really grateful if you had any pointers on where to buy or get information on anything linked to the celts/druids, even patterns for making the clothes.
Keep smilin
Elly

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 20 Jan 2009, 19:38

Elly

Post by Elly » 20 Jan 2009, 21:46

Thanks for the link, it is the type of cloak he wants, but it would drown him :-) My cloak is 60in, to allow for the fact I am sat in a wheelchair all the time and it would completely cover him about 3 times :lol:
I know pleny of sites that do adult items, but not stuff for 12yr olds :(
He wants a full lenth tunic, robes, belt etc and its been a long time since I made anything more complicated than cushions and curtains ;)
The trouble is no-one expects a small 12yr old boy to want this type of thing as his daily wear. I'm sure many reading this are having a hard time understanding it :shock:
I have always taught them to be themselves and follow the path that makes them happy. Respecting their views has led them to grow up respecting others views and they all know we will always support them, as long as what they do harms none :grin:
Ooopps, going off track abit. Sorry :oops:
Keep smilin
Elly

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 20 Jan 2009, 22:16

I wasn't meaning to buy I hadn't realised the hood had to be big enough to hide the face and needed a tassle on it is only by finding sites like this you can get the info to try and make one, I usually use old voile curtains or the like to make a pattern try Freecycle to get something of little value to get the cut etc and take it from there, Good Luck !

Elly

Post by Elly » 20 Jan 2009, 22:31

Gilly C wrote:I wasn't meaning to buy I hadn't realised the hood had to be big enough to hide the face and needed a tassle on it is only by finding sites like this you can get the info to try and make one, I usually use old voile curtains or the like to make a pattern try Freecycle to get something of little value to get the cut etc and take it from there, Good Luck !
Sorry, misunderstanding :?
I had not thought about using old stuff to make a one first #-o Great idea and I have some bits of material I could use :-)
Thanks for the help :grin:
Keep smilin
Elly

wiblick

Post by wiblick » 21 Jan 2009, 10:54

Elly

the re-enactment community do have suppliers for children but the time period he wants to do is a bit more complicated! You're looking at about 4th century or earlier. I shan't get too nitpicky over druids & celts and all the furore surrounding their very existence.

I shall now PM Elly as I'm sure the rest of you don't need to be hearing about early medieval costume.

EGirl

Post by EGirl » 21 Jan 2009, 11:18

Have you tried looking for moroccan Jelebah's? They are really very similar and you can get every size imaginable. A dark one might make a good template and lots of them come with the tassle.....

:grin:

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 21 Jan 2009, 15:14

look in charity shops for old nurses/ police capes take out a panel to make smaller..............for suede jackets to cut up and make jerkins.........harris tweed also .makes medival plaids....old leather motercylist gauntlets distressed by putting in a container with small stones and stirring well made guantlets...distressed cotton clothesline makes super cord belts(dye with cold tea to get a good colour)...old plain riding boots...even hessian sacks(usually lined for comfort) made wonderfull dry looking coarse clothing....all the above were used by reinactors when i was doing their heraldry designs
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Elly

Post by Elly » 21 Jan 2009, 17:50

Thanks for all the tips guys :grin:
Material is the easy bit, especially as I have 25m of calico :o
I am going to make a mini set first to see if I have got it right, then enlarge from that. I'm also going to order some patterns to try and make life easier. We have hundreds of books, yet so far my son has only come up with a tiny picture of what he wants :roll:
I'll let you know how I get on and try and get some pictures of the finished product.
Thanks again and keep smilin.
Elly

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 21 Jan 2009, 18:52

I think as it's a) for adults and b) in the USA this is probably not suitable but further down the page is a good layout of how the costume might look and how the hood sits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pagan-ROBE-Hood-CLO ... otohosting