Before I commit to buying....

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Before I commit to buying....

Post by kated » 04 Feb 2010, 14:15

http://theurl.be/?i=c

...these, does anyone have experience of them and is this a reasonable price? Have to keep the &*&%** pigeons off my sprouting broccoli somehow! :angryfire:

Anne

Re: Before I commit to buying....

Post by Anne » 04 Feb 2010, 21:18

I have some of those - they are very good as they don't slip through the netting and are easy to take the structure apart and store.Netting is the only thing which keeps pigeons off brassicas - if you get the finer insect netting it will keep teh cabbage white butterflies off too but make sure you make the cage high enough - I didn't one year and the cabbages etc where as high as the netting and the butterflies still laid their eggs on the leaves :roll:

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 04 Feb 2010, 22:31

Looks good. I am certainly going to provide far more secure netting this year, I was wondering how to stop it from slipping on the canes.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 05 Feb 2010, 09:52

yep i've used these before they are good :grin:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 05 Feb 2010, 11:17

Thank you - order going in today.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 05 Feb 2010, 12:00

best way i've seen of doing this though kated was using copper pipping for plumbing with conections you would make the top square up and conect legs of different lenghts depending on what you are growing under it ,the netting fleece could be attached with big bull dog clips ,and they can be stored flat in the winter ,bit more expensive though ,
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Hev

Post by Hev » 08 Feb 2010, 17:26

It also works using yoghurt pots upturned onto canes. And it's good recycling! :sunny:

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 08 Feb 2010, 19:45

milkmaid wrote:best way i've seen of doing this though kated was using copper pipping for plumbing with conections you would make the top square up and conect legs of different lenghts depending on what you are growing under it ,the netting fleece could be attached with big bull dog clips ,and they can be stored flat in the winter ,bit more expensive though ,
If I'd had that lying around, believe me I would have used it but now I've got the whole caboodle and the pigeons can just b***** off and eat summat else!

And I never have yoghurt pots as I make my own yoghurt - but it's a good idea!

BBpiglet7

Post by BBpiglet7 » 09 Feb 2010, 18:28

Snail shells on the top of canes stops you poking your eyes out accidentally.

Can anyone please tell me if netting is sufficient to stop hens and ducks eating my crops? I've never grown anything before and I know I'll be fed up if my efforts are wasted and the ducks have a feast :duckie:

:pig