HELP ME NEED INFO ON TINS!!

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

zng109

HELP ME NEED INFO ON TINS!!

Post by zng109 » 17 Jan 2010, 12:22

good now I have your attention, My wife and I were just watching Yesterday channel and it is doing a program on WWII home life.
the era is about 1942 and the goverment issued or sold home tinning kits to the WI

Now this looked bloody fantastic to me, you have a tin and a lid,
fill sterile tin with whatever pop on the lid put it in the press turn handle 20 times, then boil all your tins (to steralise them) put the lable on and, hey presto got your own tinned whatever =D>

Now this looked fab what I want to know, because I just had a little look and could not find them :cry:
Is, can this product still be bought today and where from, because I want one and if you have read this you would probably want one too!
think of it your own tinned stew, carrots, beans, peas, or french bean stew with pork [-o< please help me .
your mission should you accept it is to find if they still make these machines and the blank tins.
Help us in the war against soring energy bills and robbing supermarkets! =D>

This seems to be a good site but anyone find someone closer to home please
http://www.goodmans.net/dept.asp?d=530& ... 2AodQy06vA

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: HELP ME NEED INFO ON TINS!!

Post by Henwife » 17 Jan 2010, 13:06

I am slightly surprised that one could get kits for canning during the war when every last scrap of metal went to make planes and armaments. Kilner jars of preserved vegetables, fruit, jams & pickles I remember well (and earthenware pots of salted runner beans which were disgusting) but canning, no. Could well have been that Ma didn't hold with 'tinned stuff' though. With the popularity of freezers in the UK, I suspect that it's going to have to be the US for canning equipment.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 17 Jan 2010, 13:49

Do

http://www.ascott.biz/

have anything?

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 17 Jan 2010, 14:08

wasn't there all that trouble with botulism and other poisoning when canning was more a DIY option? vaguely remember seeing some documentary on an arctic exploration where they reckoned it was the tinned food killing them off!

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 17 Jan 2010, 15:59

Canning was something done mostly in the US as far as I am aware. I have quite a few American cook books and they mention this (Joy of Cooking by Irma S Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker is a "Bible") You can get the same effect with kilner jars. (and see what's in them at a glance)

This is useful: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay105.html

zng109

Post by zng109 » 17 Jan 2010, 18:04

Ok durring the war, (sound familiar to any of you)
the ministry of agriculture was concerned with the large amount of fruits and produce being wasted.
To this end the WI was mobalised and issued with extra sugar rations precisly to preserve fruits and make jams to help in the war effort.
The canning machines were imported from the US to assist in this effort.

The artic exspedition mentioned before did die due to the cans it is true, but due to the high lead content of the solder if I am correct, they were prettyu much stuffed as soon as they got on the boat and had their first dinner.

The sealed cans are placed in a pressure cooker and cooked to steralise the contents. hienz use a tester can in each batch, which is a tin of beans with a recording thermomiter in it which shows the maximum core tempriture of the product which is recorded with the batch number. so we dont die any more.
Any way I am a Gulf vet and I think botulisum was on the list of nastys I was alegidly imunised against.

zng109

Post by zng109 » 17 Jan 2010, 18:38

this wasnt how I planned it, I seem to be doing the leg work here but the model 60, was imported to the uk, and there are 2 available on e-bay usa
however
http://www.wellscan.ca/us-site/can-sealers_us.htm
seem to sell the newer version
http://www.houseofcans.com/sealer-manua ... -l-en.html
again pricey
http://www.houseofcans.com/plain-inside ... -l-en.html

right after a lot of research I have come to the following conclusion.
cannining is not necessary unless you wish to transport the food stuffs concerned.
you are beter of using kilner jars that are re usable.
unless of course you wish to purchase tin lids only and reuse your tins only in this cenario does the prozect make sense.

so its a bum idea.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 18 Jan 2010, 08:41

Ah, now I see why it took place during the war - yes, there are some wrinklies on this forum - the WI was involved so it was a semi official set up. Makes a lot of sense. I still bottle fruit, but surplus veggies go in the freezer.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 18 Jan 2010, 14:55

the bochelism outbreak was corned beef. It was in south america or something and they had a stream running through the canning plant to cool down the cans after they had been sterilised. Some of the cans had faulty lids and bochelism got into them. Or it just got on the cans. I don't remember the exact details.

Either way if it upsets you then just inject the bochelism into your face and atleast no-one else will realise you're unhappy

CP

Post by CP » 18 Jan 2010, 17:12

:lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

zng109

Post by zng109 » 18 Jan 2010, 22:14

I prefered monty pythons the meaning of life with the tinned salmon mouse myself,
I think I may have that Volvo.

Look I have an abstract mind it hops every where, but it is all relavant if you can follow my chain of thought,
(had a number of head injurys too)

BBpiglet7

Post by BBpiglet7 » 26 Jan 2010, 00:02

But I didn't eat the salmon mousse..........

:pig

BBpiglet7

Post by BBpiglet7 » 26 Jan 2010, 00:05

I thought it was a good idea actually, until you talked me out of it.

I had a glut of apples, as do many of us, but unfortunately this year, due to a 'light pruning' my brother gave my tree, I won't be getting any. Nor any greengaes as my fine 10' tree is now two 10" stumps :(

:pig