Pretty in Purple

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

NannyP

Pretty in Purple

Post by NannyP » 31 Aug 2009, 18:47

Is the name of this pepper.

I grew it for it's gorgeous colour.
It look's much nicer on the plant

than it does now I've picked it.

hmm, and I should have left them to turn red! Read this

ilex

Re: Pretty in Purple

Post by ilex » 31 Aug 2009, 20:14

They are a very nice colour .IWhave never seen pepper`s like that. What type of pepper is it sweet or hot ?

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 31 Aug 2009, 20:49

Very hot I think, I mean VERY hot. Will probably try one when I next make my curry sauce (thanks Itsy!)...otherwise will dry them for decoration.

I bet Steph and Nigel will know about them.

ilex

Post by ilex » 01 Sep 2009, 06:07

I am going to look out for that one next season . Thank You :grin:

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 01 Sep 2009, 06:40

NannyP wrote:Very hot I think, I mean VERY hot. Will probably try one when I next make my curry sauce (thanks Itsy!)...otherwise will dry them for decoration.

I bet Steph and Nigel will know about them.
I do indeed

It's a fairly new variety on a miniature bush and fiery hot, they start out purple and then ripen to a variety of colours pink through red IIRC. It has a reputation for being difficult to germinate and does better with a little bottom heat.

I have heard rumours of a plant that is entirely purple, stems leaves fruit everything but I've never seen the seed on offer for sale and I can't recall it's name either :oops:
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 01 Sep 2009, 08:56

Mark likes medium hot, and I prefer a little less, so it looks like this will be for decor only.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 12 Sep 2009, 21:44

The plant is coming on leaps and bounds, full of gorgeous chilli's.

I've decided to dig up the very small one, and pot it....hopefully will be able to enjoy another one through the winter, as a houseplant!
=D> =D>

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 12 Sep 2009, 21:56

there were quite a number of different purple ones on a farmers market in Harrogate but not this one :( some started purple others ripened purple ! to take some of the heat out make sure to remove seeds and pith and carefully wash your hand rubbing a litle olive oil into your hands stops the chilli penetrating quite so much :roll: you can also split them in half lengthways and stor in vodka for use later :-)

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 12 Sep 2009, 23:04

Chilli vodka.....Sounds good as a winter warmer!!!
These look lovely Nanny P, really pretty.
Is it true that you can over-winter chillis indoors because they're really perennials?
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 13 Sep 2009, 08:45

I have no idea, but nothing to lose by trying.

I've tried that Gilly, they're so small, and tightly packed inside, it's not too easy. Mark ate half of one the other day in his soup, despite being warned. It didn't bother him in the least.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 12 Oct 2009, 22:51

Okay, have picked some of these today and am posting them to those who let me have their addresses. If you want some, PM your address.