polytunnel

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

dav105e

polytunnel

Post by dav105e » 26 Aug 2009, 20:37

hi i'm new to growing veg etc, i have been given the use of a polytunnel at work and a bit of land next to it, it was very overgrown and i am in the middle of clearing it, here are some pics of how it was and how i am getting along, i will add more as i go,

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Re: polytunnel

Post by milkmaid » 27 Aug 2009, 07:21

very nice you'll get a lot of stuff out of that :grin:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

ilex

Post by ilex » 27 Aug 2009, 07:54

Fantastic :smt038 You are very lucky Load`s of good old elbow grease :mrgreen: . I would love just one of those :love10: . It must be very hard to decide what to put in and harder to what too leave out #-o . Really looking forward to your future post`s .GOOD LUCK.

Spana

Post by Spana » 27 Aug 2009, 19:32

Lucky thing :grin: Is it covered in net or plastic, hard to see from the pic. I would love one covered in net :grin: The soil looks nice as well :grin:

dav105e

Post by dav105e » 28 Aug 2009, 20:08

thanks for the comments, it is covered in net, i do have the plastic for it but not sure which would be best

dav105e

Post by dav105e » 28 Aug 2009, 22:29

last pics are of how it was

dav105e

Post by dav105e » 27 Sep 2009, 19:05

could anyone give me advice on what i could plant in the tunnel now, thanks

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 27 Sep 2009, 19:50

We've got a greenhouse, and over the last weeks OH has planted radishes, carrots, cauliflowers, hardy lettuce, mizuna, beans (broad?) and spring onions. (Possibly more by now........) It's 'try it and see' for us, so even if we only get leaves for a stir fry then at least the greenhouse is producing something over the next few weeks!

Also a few potatoes in a large tub, to try for some new potatoes at Christmas!

I'd try anything that normally would start in early spring - get some seeds from somewhere cheap (Wilkinsons?) and enjoy experimenting!

Happy growing!

:-)

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 27 Sep 2009, 20:52

Don't forget the garlic too - time to plant garlic & overwintering onions for an early start next year.......and some primroses for the soul!
In a year you'll be wanting another tunnel alongside too - they're addictive!
Happy winter gardening
:grin:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 27 Sep 2009, 22:19

efwellywoman wrote:..and some primroses for the soul!

Happy winter gardening
:grin:

Thanks for reminding me! A couple of rows of spring bulbs to cut for in the house - much cheaper than buying flowers in the New Year - some bowls of bulbs to grow on, also for the house - bowls of scented hyacinth to give as Christmas pressies - errr, how long is you poly tunnel? ;) :lol: