MUSHROOM KITS

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Prunio

MUSHROOM KITS

Post by Prunio » 23 Aug 2009, 18:36

Hello everyone, I have just joined your interesting forum, and have searched for 'mushroom kits'; has anyone tried them? I'm not a great gardener, but spend a fortune on bog standard mushrooms, so are they cost effective?
Prune

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: MUSHROOM KITS

Post by crazypianolady » 23 Aug 2009, 18:39

I've tried both the kits and the logs, I harvested some but not many from the kit and none at all off the logs! The best results I've had in the 'grow my own mushroom' experiments was from some spent mushroom compost bought as soil conditioner for the allotment, we had some lovely mushrooms off it!

:-)

Prunio

Post by Prunio » 23 Aug 2009, 22:16

What a clever idea, thank you

mal

Post by mal » 24 Aug 2009, 13:30

Some time ago I started building raised beds in the veggie plot and to help speed up filling them I bought a trailer load of spent mushroom compost then topped the beds off with compost and topsoil. a good while after, I went down to pick courgettes and found a lovely "snow scene." It was a complete white-out! We ended up sick of mushies. I suppose it was just like a very big kit so give it a go!

Spana

Post by Spana » 24 Aug 2009, 18:34

I've done the same, picked mushrooms in the garden after spreading mushroom compost. Did have a kit years ago and got a nice lot off it but didn't think it was cost effective, just nice to have a go at. Other thing is when you want mushrooms there wont be any to pick and then when you dont you'll have loads. :lol: