Chilli plant question

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

BLUELACED

Chilli plant question

Post by BLUELACED » 17 Aug 2009, 13:24

I have a couple of chilli plants in the green house and have noticed on one that the chilli's themselves have brown markings almost like burn marks. Can anyone tell me what has caused this please?

M00R3Y

Re: Chilli plant question

Post by M00R3Y » 29 Aug 2009, 17:17

Bluelaced, its either blossom end rot, or grey mould.

If the brown marks are only around the base of the fruits its more likely to be blossom end rot, if their all over then it'll be grey mould.

Blossom end rot is caused by either irratic watering or too much nitrogen; remove all the fruits and apply a calcium feed, and try to water regularly, not allowing compost to dry out between watering.

Grey mold is caused by irregular watering; keep the plants well spaced and well watered, and remove all dead or dying leaves, stems and fruits, and allow ample air circulation.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tom.

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 29 Aug 2009, 23:20

Can I ask another chilli question......
This is the first year I've grown them so don't know when best to harvest, I've got a hefty crop on five plants in the greenhouse and they're beginning to go red, should I pick them off individually now like sweet peppers and dry them over the stove, or leave them on the plant until they're all red and dry the whole lot together?
Is it worth drying some green and some red?
Am worried they might end up going mouldy and this being serious winter fodder, I don't want to get it wrong!
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

Isotope

Post by Isotope » 30 Aug 2009, 09:38

With most chilli plants, as you pick off the chillis (when they are green or red, up to you) more will grow throughout most of the season (in my conservatory, well into September/October usually).

If you want to try drying some now, I'd say give it a go - personally I leave mine out to dry as it nears the end of the growing season. I've not tried it over the stove so don't know much about that, they just seem to dry fine on their own for me!

If you're wanting to store them a different way, I find they work pretty well placed in the freezer and will defrost pretty much instantaneously for cooking with - although the texture is slightly slimy, they definitely lose that crunch.

I've made a lovely harissa, that lasted a year or more, with the left-over October chillis from about 5 plants. They were starting to dry a bit on the plant and the harissa was the best I've ever made, although I didn't wear gloves while deseeding them and spent all night with my hands dangling in a bowl of cold water :oops:

just some chilli ideas, if it helps....

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 30 Aug 2009, 19:19

That's brilliant - many thanks indeed.
I've got so many on the plants that I'm going to try all of the options you suggest.......think I'll get a new pair of gloves before doing the harissa though!
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.