Made a start on the 'orchard'!

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Matildanz

Made a start on the 'orchard'!

Post by Matildanz » 24 Jul 2009, 11:25

We've decided to sacrifice our back yard for our own little self contained orchard! So far we have Elephant Heart Plums, Monty's Surprise Apples, blueberries, boysenberries, raspberries (standard and yellow), gooseberries, red currants, orangeberries and strawberries. Tomorrow we are hopefully picking up a Nectarine/Black Boy peach double grafted tree as well as a double grafted plum. Oh and a blackcurrant! I'm going to have to invest in some ultra soft toilet paper!! :lol:

He had some help of course........
Image Image Image Image

We (that would be the 'royal' we ;) ) are also building a second raised garden as we ran out of room last season, and getting the glasshouse prepared to spring. Can't wait! Even bought myself some new gummies for traipsing round the 'ultra' smallholding :lol: :roll: !

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Made a start on the 'orchard'!

Post by crazypianolady » 24 Jul 2009, 13:37

Matildanz, you're far too kind to your girls! Fancy going to all that trouble for them, just so they can pick their own fruit! ;) :lol:

Seriously, home grown fruit beats shop bought every time - I think it's 'cos we pick it when it's ripe, rather than just before!

:-)

Spana

Post by Spana » 24 Jul 2009, 19:46

The girls will love the orchard, they are after all woodland birds :grin:

Home grown fruit is wonderful and you have such a selection there. You'll be out in your dressing gown picking fresh ripe rasps to put on your cereal. :lol:

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 24 Jul 2009, 20:08

Okay, sounds great, can someone explain the toilet paper thing for me?
#-o #-o

Spana

Post by Spana » 24 Jul 2009, 21:27

NannyP wrote:Okay, sounds great, can someone explain the toilet paper thing for me?
#-o #-o
I took it to mean she might have to visit the loo more frequently from eating so much fruit :grin: BSA so will need nice soft loo paper :lol:

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 24 Jul 2009, 22:14

I thought so, but wasn't sure :lol: :lol:

Matildanz

Post by Matildanz » 25 Jul 2009, 08:20

:lol: Sorry, just my very sad sense of humour, Nanny P! Yep, I'm fairly sure there'll be a few more trips to the loo! But it's a small price to pay for home grown fruit!

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 25 Jul 2009, 15:35

If the chicken have access to your new orchard, you won't get any of the soft fruits - they will. Mine have access to red, black and white currants plus red and yellow raspberries; the blackbirds strip the goseberries unless I am very quick. Nobody likes the mulberries except me, the cherries are delicious - when I can get them, but I do have a fine crop of pears and apples!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Spana

Post by Spana » 25 Jul 2009, 19:25

I just adore mulberries. :lol:

Matildanz

Post by Matildanz » 26 Jul 2009, 03:31

Don't worry Henwife! We've already sorted out that the berries will all need some fairly hefty chicken proofing! We lost all our Gooseberries to the thrushes last year so they'll all be under guard as they are OH's favourite!