How's your plot doing

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Spana

How's your plot doing

Post by Spana » 14 Jul 2009, 16:50

Everything's really getting going now .
Already done quite a lot of veg and fruit for the freezer and made a start on the jams. Picked our first toms today :grin: .
I only have 4tom plants in the greenhouse but I rooted some of the side shoots that I picked out and have about another 20plants out in the ground. They are setting fruit better than the greenhouse plants so i should have plenty for chutney.
Caulies and runners need another week but we're picking peas , mangetout, all the salad type stuff, broad beans, french beans and digging first early pots. Also carrots, beets and courgettes. Onions need some sun.
The sweetcorn may look a little behind but i think i get a better crop by sowing later, the tassels and silks appear at the same time so i get really good pollination.
Had loads of rasps, gooseberries and rhubarb and the blackcurrants are just about ready. Gave up on strawberries last year as by back cant take the picking.
Apples look well loaded but I only have about 4plums from 6trees :( bet they fall of, and worse nil pears apart from the perry pear which is again over loaded.

Auntie Katie
Hen
Hen

Re: How's your plot doing

Post by Auntie Katie » 14 Jul 2009, 16:57

I think I've lost mine! :lol:

Looks lovely!!

By the way, did I tell you that the Doctor said while I was visiting you I wasn't allowed, under any circumstances, to do any veg/fruit picking! :^o
====== :dog:============================================================= :dog: =====

Spana

Post by Spana » 14 Jul 2009, 17:44

Dont worry, I'm sure there will be someone here who will help pick raspberries. Wether they get as far as the dinner table is another matter :lol: :lol:

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 14 Jul 2009, 19:09

Well yours puts mine to shame Spana. I have a bed of strawberries which gave us around 6lbs which is not bad for its first year, but the other bed has red onions white sprouting broccoli and parsnips in and is infested with b***** bindweed! I pull it out but the roots go down to Australia. I did sew up horticultural fleece bags to contain the broccoli so that it could resist the caterpillars and pigeons for a while, but they are bursting out in enthusiasm now so they'll all get munched I'm sure.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 04 Aug 2009, 14:41

not that well not enough hours in the day having said that
i went shopping today an came back with a grapevine which i've planted so articokes and a black berry ,fenced the chickens,turkeys, ducks and the geese out of what i'm going to from now on call the fruit garden ;) ,day off today and it's been lovely to get back into the real world 8) ,next job is to move some stuff out of the way of said livestock ,and hopefully the goats wil not jump in :roll: ,picked 5 pounds of broad beans which were grown outside which isn't bad for here and some peas 8)
suz
rose comb white dorking nut