Re seeding tree

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Bradders

Re seeding tree

Post by Bradders » 27 May 2009, 09:26

I had my trees cut down in my front garden around about October time and in the easter hols i weeded it and put my flowers in. ;)

However the tree just keeps re growing small ones round the main trunk. I keep chopping them down because the trees are to deep to dig out. Even if i do dig them out they will re grow. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Any ideas to get rid of the trees :?

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Re seeding tree

Post by Henwife » 27 May 2009, 10:39

The expensive way is to hire a stump grinder and operator. The cheaper way is to get a small bottle of the stuff used for killing off brambles (I'll check the name next time I'm in the potting shed) which you mix with paraffin for stump killing. Drill a shallow 'reservoir' hole or so, depending on stump size, paint the mixture on generously & cover with something to keep the rain off - roofing felt kept on with clout nails or heavy plastic stapled in place. It will take time, but they do die. Don't cut off suckers but pull the 'against the grain' to prevent them growing back.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 27 May 2009, 13:49

Will the parafin kill the other plants in the garden :?

o'ferrell

Post by o'ferrell » 29 May 2009, 00:17

we use a product called tordon rtu(ready to use). it will kill trees.do you have that in u.k.?

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 29 May 2009, 07:03

I was in the Agri merchant's the other day and there is a pecific product for dealling with stumps that can't be dug out. Again, not prohibatively expensive. And no, used with care, paraffin won't affect the other plants - the instructions on the stuff have no changed to say mix with water - read those in the same place & still forgot to note the name.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

CP

Post by CP » 29 May 2009, 10:30

I would love to know how to get rid of a large stump in out garden without resorting to a stump grinder as it's very near the house! We've put a supposed effective one on several times over the last year but it's still there! :x

So, what's the most effective one anyone has used before & what's it called please! [-o<
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

birdsofparadise

Post by birdsofparadise » 05 Jun 2009, 18:04

An old aple orchard consultant told me to score into an old trunk and fill with salt, cover to stop salt washing out and keep topping up the salt for a little while (cant' remember exact details) he was very positive this would completely kill the stump, and I think shrivel it - certailnly allowing another tree to be planted in its place, (but not one of the same fruit type). His name is Dan the apple Man, :grin: I never did try it but he certainly knows his stuff so I reckon well worth a go.

DickDawk

Post by DickDawk » 01 Aug 2009, 19:18

I think the stuff Henwife had in mind is "SBK Brushwood Killer". I've used it successfully for killing stumps in the past. As I recall, I mixed it with old sump oil. Synechemicals Brushwood Killer (SBK) is available from most garden centres, and the sump oil you can get from your local car repair garage. You dig a hole in the centre of the stump and pour the stuff in- the more the merrier. Hope this helps.