Plant Disease ID please?

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

JaxMax

Plant Disease ID please?

Post by JaxMax » 30 Apr 2009, 22:37

I have a young ornamental almond tree that's beiing attacked by something - would anybody here know what it is please? Photo isn't great, sorry, but the leaves are turning pink and going kind of bubbly.

Thanks in advance. :grin:

CP

Re: Plant Disease ID please?

Post by CP » 30 Apr 2009, 23:42

Looks a bit like peach leaf curl but don't know if almonds get the same?
Magpie might know. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Lisleoise

Post by Lisleoise » 01 May 2009, 06:51

Yes, it is Peach Leaf Curl. I have the RHS book of Pests & Diseases and it does affect almonds too.

It is a fungal infection, the spores overwinter in cracks and crevices of the trunk and branches, in the bark and on the buds. Remove infected leaves. Prevent the spores entering the leaf buds by spraying the tree with Bordeaux Mixture (or other Copper Fungicide) in jan/feb [not sure if it's too late now], repeat 14 days later and just before autumn leaf fall. Burn the dropped/picked off leaves.

You need to break the cycle of the spores entering the leaf buds so two or three yearsof the above tratment should cure the tree.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 01 May 2009, 07:01

I managed to treat a peach tree for this - picking off leaves, spraying etc - and the damn thing upped and died last year!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Lisleoise

Post by Lisleoise » 01 May 2009, 07:36

... I had it on a young apricot tree and managed to treat it successfully, then my husband ran over it with a tractor mower and snapped it off at ground level :evil:

JaxMax

Post by JaxMax » 01 May 2009, 09:37

Lisleoise wrote:... I had it on a young apricot tree and managed to treat it successfully, then my husband ran over it with a tractor mower and snapped it off at ground level :evil:

LMAO - my other half has done similar things with a strimmer, I don't let him loose with it anymore!

Thank you everyone, now that I know what it is I can treat it. I bought it last year from Lidl, just a stick with a few buds on it really so I suppose it must have had it then. I'll try treating it now and give it a chance.

Thanks again
Jackie

Woodburner

Post by Woodburner » 30 May 2009, 16:54

IIRC you need to keep the rain off to stop it getting re-infected, otherwise it's a case of routine spraying every year.

JaxMax

Post by JaxMax » 30 May 2009, 17:20

Thanks, didn't realise that. It's not looking hopeful at the moment, I'm seriously thinking about digging it up and disposing of it, what a shame.