chicken sanctuary

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

chicken steve
Chick
Chick

chicken sanctuary

Post by chicken steve » 26 Apr 2009, 14:52

hi does anyone know if badgers are a threat to chicken /farm birds as ive been offerd farm land /d farm but found out three badger sets living in old barns and having chickens free range poss danger #-o #-o #-o [-o<

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: chicken sanctuary

Post by kated » 26 Apr 2009, 15:49

Badgers are a serious threat to poultry - if they get the taste for them. You can keep poultry near badgers for years and not have a problem and then one has a go and then you won't be able to keep poultry there again, because a badger is incredibly strong and will break wood and wire with ease. Haven't had experience of using electric fencing with them but I know my Mum had to give up keeping poultry because of badgers.

Spana

Post by Spana » 26 Apr 2009, 20:05

Some friends had a big gander dragged off by a badger :(

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 26 Apr 2009, 21:28

i think badgers and chickens together are a risk you might regret unless the chickens are surrounded by a stone/brick wall
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

birdsofparadise

Post by birdsofparadise » 05 Jun 2009, 18:19

We have massive active badger sets. before you worry make sure your sets are active, although there is nothing to say badgers wont move into them.
the badgers dig for worms in our compost heep and have left our poultry alone. We have them behind strong weldmesh around 2ft deep and a foot turned out, the ducks dont sleep in their house or on their pond just on the ground.
my neighbour has lost loads to the foxes during the day and has seen badger scratch marks on her arks from nightly visits. She has kept chickens and ducks there for 30 years and reckons potentially the badgers are worse than the foxes so it's really important to keep night areas well secured and in good order. But the badgers have never bitten through her coops or my wire. Long may the peace continue :lol:

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 06 Jun 2009, 23:28

I have badgers running through the garden into the paddock where the girls are, the badger path runs behind the coop.

there are two active sets a field away.

they have dragged the blue plastic drum with chicken pellets in (kept in an old greenhouse next to run ) to try and take it away but got it stuck in the hedge! Big puncture marks and paw marks on the plastic.

One was in the run eating the pellets one evening when OH went to shut the gate but it was more scared of him and legged it.

Touch wood there haven't been any stand offs with the girls and a badger :roll:

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 07 Jun 2009, 10:04

warning..............never corner a badger ........they are deadly........if you dont know about badgers watch springwatch and see the size of their teeth and claws
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Woodburner

Post by Woodburner » 13 Jul 2009, 11:33

Badgers are incredibly destructive, if the setts are anywhere near the walls be very careful.

A chicken keeping friend has them in her (large) garden and has only had one incident that was definitely them and not foxes, but they are destroying her wall.