Starting a Hanging Basket Competition on my street?

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparklepeeps

Starting a Hanging Basket Competition on my street?

Post by Sparklepeeps » 18 Apr 2009, 11:32

Ive had a great idea! (I think)

Im thinking about starting a hanging basket competition on my street. Everyone pays £1 for each basket they enter into the competition, all entrants get to vote for their favourite on a set date, and the winner recieves 80% of the prize fund, the runner up receives 20%.

But Im worried that no one will want to enter so Im a bit scared about setting it up!!! lol #-o Everyone round here are keen gardeners so it has a good chance of taking off. Im looking for some advice from all you keen gardeners (because unfortunately, I am not an expert (more of a good ideas but no action gardener!!!! lol).

:arrow: When do you think the voting week should take place? Will the baskets be in full bloom and NOT passed their best mid July? I had taken a best guess-timate that 10-17th July would be a good time to vote (but I have absolutely no idea so I would value your opinion).

Heres the details that I have started to cobble together for the leaflet that I will be dropping round to the neighbours. Its a work in progress at the moment (as you will be able to tell!). Would you mind having a look at it and let me know if it raises any questions in your mind. Or maybe you can see a flaw in the concept or have a better idea than me. Id be really grateful for any of your ideas or advice:

Summer 2009 - Hanging Basket Competition

Interested in joining in the fun with a cash prize for the lucky winner and runner up?
The idea being that you will pay £1 for every hanging basket that you enter into the competition (Maximum 4 baskets per household). The baskets MUST be displayed at the front of your house and visable from the road, anyone who enters the competition will be able to vote for whom they would like to win, and the winner will receive 80% of the total prize fund, the closest runner up will win the remaining 20%. There are more than 150 houses on the whole of the Lane and Avenue together, so if everyone joins in it will be a healthy prize fund!!!

The Rules
The competition is supposed to be fun, so rules will be kept to a minimum, however as your hard earned cash is involved complete transparancy will be given to anybody interested.

1. Maximum of 4 hanging baskets may be entered into the competion per household.
2. The term 'Hanging basket' refers to any planted container that is hung from the front of your house, so you do not have to use a traditional 'basket', allowing those inavators amongst us to get creative!
3. Only households who have entered the competion will be allowed to vote.
4. You will be provided with a voting card for EVERY hanging basket you enter into the competition when you pay
for your own entry. DO NOT LOOSE THEM - you will only be given these once! This will allow more than
one person in each household to enter and vote for a winner.
5. You will be provided with a list of the house numbers who have entered the competition 2 weeks before the
voting week of Friday July 10th 2009 and Friday 17th July 2009.
6. Anyone who enters the competion agrees to allow other competition entrants to be given your house number,
and must be prepared to allow others to look at your hanging baskets from the road side between the
dates of Friday July 10th 2009 and Friday 17th July 2009 for voting purposes.
7. Votes must be submitted by 22:00 Friday 17th July 2009 in the designated box at .................
8. You are not permitted to vote for your own hanging baskets!!!! Therefore to aid complete transparacy, voting
will NOT be annonamous, and a list of who voted for whom will be available to anyone who is interested
after the winner has been announced.
9. The winner and runner up will be contacted on Sunday 19th July 2009 and given their prize money in person.
10.You can follow the progress of the competition on line at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am really not sure why I am doing this! :lol:
Please please jot down your thoughts for me. XXXX
Last edited by Sparklepeeps on 18 Apr 2009, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sparklepeeps

Re: Starting a Hanging Basket Competion on my street?

Post by Sparklepeeps » 18 Apr 2009, 11:41

Ive had an extra thought.

As there is the potential for a maximum of over 600 baskets to be made up from this competition, I am thinking of contacting the local garden centre to see if they will offer a discount to anyone who can prove they live on the street.

Moriarty

Re: Starting a Hanging Basket Competion on my street?

Post by Moriarty » 18 Apr 2009, 11:56

I think it's an excellent idea, a really good way to brighten up your street. One thing, I would stress that it is a neighbourhood effort and there's no-one making any money out of it. Why not contact your local paper (they love to get information about events and will happily promote and even sponsor something) - newspapers are desperate for editorial and might even offer a prize as well if they could put their 'brand' on it.
Good luck, it's small ventures like this that can totally change a neighbourhood. People take pride in a hanging basket, then their garden, then their pavement and it expands to look after the community. And people who come down your street will feel the benefit. Who knows, estate agents will see your street as having a better value than another one.
Keep us informed how you get on.
All the best
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Starting a Hanging Basket Competition on my street?

Post by kated » 18 Apr 2009, 16:58

I think it's a brilliant idea too, but a small suggestion (and I shan't take offence at all if it's not appropriate or you don't want to do it that way) it sometimes works better if you can hang the competition (excuse the pun) on a charity. So that a proportion of your entrance money goes to a local charity and people get an even warmer feeling about taking part.

Sparklepeeps

Post by Sparklepeeps » 18 Apr 2009, 17:49

kated wrote:I think it's a brilliant idea too, but a small suggestion (and I shan't take offence at all if it's not appropriate or you don't want to do it that way) it sometimes works better if you can hang the competition (excuse the pun) on a charity. So that a proportion of your entrance money goes to a local charity and people get an even warmer feeling about taking part.
d'ya know, I was wondering about that.

It crossed my mind this afternoon to increase the fee to £1.50 and have 50p go to charity and the £1 to the prize fund.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 22 Apr 2009, 16:10

:grin: =D>

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Post by SkyChild » 24 Apr 2009, 11:59

That's a great idea!
Mind if I nick it?

Oh, also :oops: my mother worked in editing for AGES and I seem to have picked up the little niggling annoyance at things not spelt properly.

visible, anonymous, and lose

So sorry, not meaning to be a moany-face.

But yeah, smashing idea!

EGirl

Post by EGirl » 25 Apr 2009, 11:20

Great idea, would love to see pics! Well done you! =D>

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 08 Jun 2009, 10:17

did it take off? and how many entries so far if it did
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend