Diatom

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Matildanz

Diatom

Post by Matildanz » 23 Mar 2009, 20:30

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with plants and Diatomateous Earth? I dusted the coop a few weeks ago to combat the dreaded mite and it has worked a treat. BUT now for some reason we've lost a pumpkin plant that was growing up the side of the coop and a bush inside the coop. They started looking a little wilted then dried up. We thought for a start that a cat was spraying but couldn't smell any urine and now I'm wondering if the DE may have been the cause of the casulties. I was using a hearth brush to get the powder into every little crevice and I dare say a fair bit probably ended up on these two plants.

CP

Re: Diatom

Post by CP » 24 Mar 2009, 03:09

I've not noticed any problems but then again I don't think my diatom has really come into contact with plants.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 24 Mar 2009, 08:21

I'm only surmising, but it's possible. DE works by dessicating, so it might have caused your plants to wilt. (And there again, I might be completely wrong! :lol: )

Matildanz

Post by Matildanz » 24 Mar 2009, 10:14

Thanks guys, I've given the pumpkin a good looking over and notice that the pumpkin (yes, lone pumpkin!) is actually still growing and that the large stem/vine is still quite fleshy - appears that it is just the leaves and thin stems have died.... could be hope yet! :grin:

CP

Post by CP » 24 Mar 2009, 10:38

Fingers crossed! Image
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Big D

Post by Big D » 25 Mar 2009, 21:30

You can dust all your plants in it as it kills black fly/greenfly/aphids etc. Shouldn't harm the plant at all. It does however kill ladybirds and other helpful insects :( It's great at killing bugs on lettuce, just rinse the leaves before eating.

See's off slugs as well :grin:

Matildanz

Post by Matildanz » 26 Mar 2009, 19:57

Now I'm really stumped, it did seem to make sense! I really thought I was a plant killer :? I'll just have to blame the blimmin cat! ;)

Dora

Post by Dora » 27 Apr 2009, 13:15

Well does anyone no, if when you use DT in the coup on cleaning out I add the stuff to the compost, will it harm the worms in the bin, or am I right in thinking if it's damp or wet it's safe???