BL***Y Badgers

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Stujan

BL***Y Badgers

Post by Stujan » 27 Aug 2008, 21:32

Janet went down our allotment this morning and all the corn has been stripped naked , so have most of our nieghbours corn too . there were paw prints around and we know that there are some badgers nearby but the crafty s*ds waited till the corn was just ready for picking and got in there before anyone had the chance to harvest them .
I plea humbly to anyone who might have an answer, i am willing and ready to make a snap door trap to get the little b*ggers but what I do with them after is not known . I dont want to kill them even though there is a national cull going on to save cattle from TB , but dont suppose anyone wants them for pets either !
Jasper Carrot and his mole in the garden sketch comes to mind !!!!

CP

Post by CP » 28 Aug 2008, 01:13

They're a protected species Stujan. I'm sure you're not allowed to trap or kill them.
Maybe if you contact your local wildlife group they may have some suggestions? :wink:

Attila The Hen

Post by Attila The Hen » 28 Aug 2008, 12:25

CP's right. They can only be trapped or killed under licence (which you're not going to get).

Strongly suggest you don't take the law into your own hands and trap them on the quiet, for so many reasons apart from the illegality - animal welfare for one, and of course the tricky issue of how you'd deal with a cornered and frightened badger. They're powerful animals, and can cause serious injury if threatened.

Afraid you will just have to live with them and their harvesting your allotments.

Attila

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 30 Aug 2008, 06:59

Stujan
there isn't a national cull to help with tb ,
it was rejected ,there is going to be one in wales ,on a small trail bases but not in england
electric fencing is the only thing i can suggest
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Hev

Post by Hev » 07 Oct 2008, 20:08

I've had this problem 3 years in a row and I've now given up trying to grow corn or carrots as there is absolutely nothing you can (legally!) do to stop them. Just forget those crops and enjot the things you can grow!

sussexboy

Post by sussexboy » 06 Nov 2008, 15:23

sounds so annoying for you

no there is no cull, but there definetly should be, the ammount of dmamage they do not just with the corn but also cattle,

i work with cattle so am able to see the damge first hand that is done by badgers, with TB!
something needs to be done!

Attila The Hen

Post by Attila The Hen » 06 Nov 2008, 15:59

And EAE in sheep can cause infection and miscarriage in pregnant women, but you don't hear a call for the UK flock to be culled in response to that.

Or is economic loss a greater political motivator than personal tragedy?

Domestic cats can pass toxoplasmosis to people, and again in the case of pregnant women with dire consequences including miscarriage or permanent damage to their unborn child. Then there's toxocariasis transmitted by dogs and cats that can cause blindness. Yet I see no campaign to stop families keeping cats or dogs.

Or is sentiment a greater political motivator than personal tragedy?

It seems that when it doesn't involve an economic loss, UK society is able to take a pragmatic and proportionate attitude to animal-borne diseases. But when an economic loss results because a wild animal vector has transmitted a disease (i.e. bovine TB), the response from some quarters becomes more polarised. (On both sides - if the vector was something less cutesy and photogenic than a badger (a cockroach, say) the public reaction to a proposed cull would be much less extreme).

Debate!

Attila

Stujan

Post by Stujan » 12 Nov 2008, 10:26

I might be right, then again might be wrong in thinking that Wales was going ahead with a cull . I am going to be very interested in the results and recommendations after that action has taken place !

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 13 Nov 2008, 11:15

I think it's on hold at the moment Stujan. We had a badgers sett at the bottom of the paddock when we first moved here - they have moved on, probably because of the 7 dogs. I know they do damaged but I don't buy the TB debate - scientists agree that it was cattle that gave some badgers TB in the first place and now they want to get rid of them all - a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted me thinks!!!!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 14 Nov 2008, 14:40

i'm not sure that that is true
the incidence of btb is increasing in cats at quite a rate and llamas
with premovement testing which now has to take place there should not be a single case of btb unless it was carried by something else (16 llamas have it this year 16 cats , a dog, a couple of goats ),the testing that is going to happen in wales would be along side testing of every single cow in wales quite a task,i'd hate to see every badger culled ,but if tb is found on a farm the badgers/cats ect should also be tested that way hopefully it could be controlled :cry:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Gem@carraghs

Re: BL***Y Badgers

Post by Gem@carraghs » 15 Jun 2009, 12:23

electic poultry netting around vulnerable crops should work, unless the badger was really detemined and dug under it! maybe surrounded with old cheap paving slabs to prevent digging

you shouldnt need the fence switched on during the day

only prob with this is that electric fencers are of value to thieves..........