slugs

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

danro

slugs

Post by danro » 07 May 2008, 08:34

Hi everyone.

We keep our chooks in a 4m x 10m fenced off area of our garden.
Outside this area I'm (trying) to grow veg but the slugs are currently munching faster than the plants can grow. :evil:

My first thought was "Slug pellets!" ... but as a treat we let the chooks out onto the garden once or twice a week to scratch about in the grass and borders.
Will the slug pellets be bad for the hens?
Or should I just let the hens free range more often to get more slugs?

Any ideas\advice greatly received :D

Thanks

Danny

Itsybitsy

Post by Itsybitsy » 07 May 2008, 12:35

I find my chickens aren't to fussed about slugs, well maybe they'll have the small ones but they never touch the big ones, ducks however will gobble them up. Slug pellets shouldn't be used where your girls can get at them. I don't know if they will kill them but I would advise not to use them where the chickens can get. Have you tried beer traps for the slugs? although I never have, I understand they are very successful, somebody will be along later to tell you more I hope.

Itsybitsy

hollowlegs

Post by hollowlegs » 09 May 2008, 23:14

:D Beer traps work very well as do milk ones! Just bury a yoghurt pot in the vicinity of the vulnerable plants, leaving around half an inch above ground then 3/4 fill it with either liquid. It's amazing how many slugs crawl in overnight & drown. The chooks will love the resulting tasty morsels!!! :D :D :D

Woodburner

Post by Woodburner » 16 May 2008, 23:18

Not all slugs are bad, some actually eat the small nasty ones. The little grey ones are the ones that do the most damage. I find the chooks do eat those :)

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 17 May 2008, 06:32

Ducks eat slugs

[but they also eat vegetable plants and make a real mess in gardens]

Itsybitsy

Post by Itsybitsy » 17 May 2008, 13:40

When I let mine out this morning I have a broody with 5 chicks around 3 weeks old, one of the chicks got hold of one of those small grey slugs and managed to scoff the lot before his siblings found out :lol:

Itsybitsy

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 17 May 2008, 14:16

try piles of bran, it kills either slugs or snails and makes the other very ill and birds or hens can still eat with no ill effectts :) needs replenishing often I used it at my last house and certainly works and inexpensive too :D

EGirl

Post by EGirl » 03 Jul 2008, 10:17

Thanks Gilly, I'm going to try that!
Mine like nothing better than a huge fat slug, or better still a snail in shell which they can fight over and then coax out of it's shell. :shock:

Pekinout

Post by Pekinout » 04 Jul 2008, 22:18

A good way to keep slugs away is to collect them all in a bucket, as many as you can find, then put boiling water on them. Put a lid on the bucket and keep it closed for a week. Strain the liquid out and water it over the veg plot, but not on plants just around them. The slugs can either smell the death liquid or sense it and won't go near your veggies again. Well not until the liquids disappeared (dependant on weather). I do mine about once a month, and so far nothing's eaten my veggies.

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Re: slugs

Post by efwellywoman » 03 Sep 2009, 23:46

For years I've also been battling slugs with the basic organic armoury......pick them off and put them in the chooks bucket/hurl them over the hedge/drown them in beer/fence them out with copper/ upset them with garlic & boiled relatives etc, as I cannot consider using any of the metaldehye baits for all the usual chicken/dog/wildlife reasons.

Now our local feed supplier is stocking ferric phosphate 'organic' pellets from Growing Success, advertised as safe to all species except arthropods......I am SO tempted!!! (We're organic,self suffish. though not S.A. registered, and although the old established growing areas are fairly well controlled, I am currently fighting a losing battle on a large area of new deep beds)

Do any of you other life loving, chicken keeping, veggie growing people have any experience of using these new pellets.....
Have you seen any adverse effects from them?
If safely usable ......do they actually work........

Thoughts, experiences and opinions please!!!!!
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

witsinfr

Post by witsinfr » 04 Sep 2009, 07:39

efwellywoman wrote:upset them with garlic & boiled relatives
:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 04 Sep 2009, 11:04

We Celts have ways of dealing with tribal disputes.........
;)

But there's a thought......perhaps the answer........just add the garlic & milk marinated gastropods to the menu.....
Somehow I'm not sure I can quite face that yet.....but if the recession continues
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

CP

Post by CP » 04 Sep 2009, 13:02

:puke:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 04 Sep 2009, 16:49

I've used up all my relatives - can I have some of yours please?

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 04 Sep 2009, 22:31

Fried or boiled?
Have several.... a dozen even....perhaps marinated with a little garlic.......

and of course not forgetting the ferric sulphate garnish.......hmmmm chewy .......