Fermenting veg and stuff!

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fermenting veg and stuff!

Post by MamaOwl » 11 Nov 2017, 18:01

As some of you know I grew up mostly in the Czech Republic with my Grandparents and Aunts/Uncles while my Mother galavanted about Chelsea rubbing shoulders with celebrities (a baby got in the way) :roll:

Anyway, fermenting, preserving, pickling are (were more in days gone) a BIG thing... When I was little it was unheard of to have fresh tomatoes or cucumbers for example so Spring/Summer fruits and veg were always either fermented or pickled.

About 4 years ago I got back in to fermenting and have now gone mad with it. Kilner jars and bottles bubbling away all over the place!

Not only are fermented foods REALLY good for you, like REALLY!!! But they taste amazing and the making of them is rather fun and unpredictable.

Anyone else in to this?

Also, does anyone want some Water Kefir grains? I keep giving loads away but my grains keep multiplying like mad!!! all I need is a small jiffy envelope with your address lable and a 1st class stamp inside it sent to me and I will return it all with some WK grains...

Have uploaded some example photos of past brews!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

CP

Re: Fermenting veg and stuff!

Post by CP » 12 Nov 2017, 11:40

I am hopeless in the kitchen!

I admire people who can cook, make & preserve things that taste amazing. Good for you. ;)

I suffer from acid reflux so tend to avoid many things that are vinegary or too spicy, so don't think I'd do very well with any of this, though I used to love pickled onions & piccalilli.... mmmmm! But I know if I ate them now, I'd regret it later! Very occasionally I might but would have plenty of Rennies in stock to counter the after effects. :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 13 Nov 2017, 12:58

I do make my own yoghurt but that's as far as it goes. There are only the two of us and we eat amazingly little, so I have stopped most of my preserving ways. I used to do a lot of jam and jelly making and ginger beer making and bread making of all sorts. There is very little tradition is this country for preserving in vinegar other than pickles and chutneys and of course pickled onions. Even pickled gherkins are more of a German and Eastern European thing. I find it quite surprising we have not gone down that route in the UK.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 15 Nov 2017, 16:57

I think it's starting to get popular, even see kefir milk popping up in Tesco and Lidls.

I make a fermented ginger drink using water kefir.. it's SO GOOD!!!!

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 15 Nov 2017, 17:49

My husband likes pickled eggs ( :-& )

so last night I thought I'd give fermented eggs a try... we'll see what he thinks of them in 2 days time.... :smt119
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 20 Nov 2017, 12:31

Some Kimchi on the go again... it's yummy!!!!

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 20 Nov 2017, 17:33

I like sauerkraut - is it similar?

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 22 Nov 2017, 11:50

Yes.. only one can eat Kimchi straight away (gets better with age)

I LOVE sauerkraut I could easily get addicted...

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 28 Nov 2017, 19:31

How did the fermented eggs turn out? Can't say I'm a huge fan of pickled eggs though would eat one with a salad.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 28 Nov 2017, 19:39

Do you know what.... they tasted like ever so slightly salty cold oiled eggs.

I was super super scared as loathe eggs, but wanted to show it was ok to eat them.

For a short ferment and a bloody healthy one, if you like boiled eggs it's worth doing!